Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Movement In The Classroom

This year I had a lot of active boys in my class and with the academic demands steadily increasing I found that many of my students needed "brain breaks" throughout the course of the school day. In the past I had tried mini exercising routines like jumping jacks and Simon Says activities but found that these activities left my students more silly then ever! So I began researching some "brain break" ideas online that would be engaging for my students but yet serve its purpose of refocusing my students and providing them with a little break. I happened upon this site: Teach Train Love 20 Brain Break Clips: Movin' and Groovin'! Upon trying out a few of these "brain break" clips I found one that I LOVE and use often. I think you will too! I think it would be appropriate for grades 1-5. Here it is, Number: 4) 'Move to Learn' Fitness Break Video.

This Fitness Break Video is so great because it is led by the video instructor and doesn't require the teacher to facilitate the exercise, which is beneficial for the students to get a teacher break and for teachers to get a 5 minute student break (to get a little something done:)) The music is upbeat and the mini steps are all primarily familiar to students so they can "jump right-in". I always find that my students have fun with the "brain-break" moves and are refreshed and ready for the next lesson. Take a moment to view it, give it a try with your students, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment